Skip to content

FIX: work around packaging issues on conda-forge - #32444

Closed
tacaswell wants to merge 1 commit into
matplotlib:mainfrom
tacaswell:fix/cf_gtk4
Closed

tacaswell wants to merge 1 commit into
matplotlib:mainfrom
tacaswell:fix/cf_gtk4

Conversation

@tacaswell

Copy link
Copy Markdown
Member

PR summary

gtk4 eventually depends on harfbuzz which was recently split on CF such that the .typelib files were moved to a -devel package. However, the typelib files are used by gobject at runtime. Missing this file leads to import failures.

Next step is to open an issue downstream.

AI Disclosure

I used opus-5-5 to help debug the failures in our appveyor and to review the CF repo history.

PR quality check

  • Use an expressive title, e.g. "Fix title font property precedence"
  • [/] New and changed code is tested
  • [/] Plotting related features are demonstrated in an example
  • [/] New features and API changes have release notes
  • [/] Documentation complies with general and docstring guidelines

gtk4 eventually depends on harfbuzz which was recently split on CF
such that the .typelib files were moved to a -devel package.  However,
the typelib files are used by gobject at runtime.  Missing this file leads
to import failures.

I used opus-5-5 to help debug the failures in our appveyor and to review the CF
repo history.
@tacaswell

Copy link
Copy Markdown
Member Author

conda-forge/harfbuzz-feedstock#172 / conda-forge/harfbuzz-feedstock#171 are the downstream issues.

@iccir iccir left a comment •

Copy link
Copy Markdown
Contributor

Choose a reason for hiding this comment

The reason will be displayed to describe this comment to others. Learn more.

Approved!

For my own knowledge, "environment.yaml" only affects conda, correct? pip uses "pyproject.toml" and the dev group doesn't need this change?

@tacaswell

Copy link
Copy Markdown
Member Author

Correct.

This issue in particular is a bug in a non-Python package which the wheel ecosystem can not even describe (it can provide it by stuffing random unknown name mangled binaries into wheels, but that is a different discussion).

@tacaswell

Copy link
Copy Markdown
Member Author

The fix upstream has been merged, I'm not sure it is possible that by tomorrow morning this will have sorted itself out and we can close this with no-action or we can merge this now and revert it next week or so when the CF side of things has definitely had time to propagate.

@timhoffm

timhoffm commented Oct 7, 2026

Copy link
Copy Markdown
Member

@tacaswell I’ll leave the decision to you whether to merge and later revert or whether to wait for the fix to propagate.

@tacaswell

Copy link
Copy Markdown
Member Author

#32446 had the appveyor test pass without this merged so I think the downstream fix propagated and we do not need this work around.

@tacaswell tacaswell closed this Oct 7, 2026
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment

Labels

None yet

Projects

None yet

Development

Successfully merging this pull request may close these issues.

3 participants